Join Our Team!
Forward Justice is currently searching for new team members.
Forward Justice seeks a Paralegal to support our racial justice movement work, including program work in democracy, voting rights, economic justice and criminal justice. The ideal candidate will have an unwavering commitment to excellence, an analysis of racial justice and democracy, economic justice and criminal justice, and a commitment to supporting the use of the law to develop creative strategies and provide service toward movement-building goals. This position will report to the supervising Staff Attorney.
Job duties include supporting our organization and movement partners by preparing documents such as affidavits and legal correspondence, as well as organizing and maintaining files. You will also be asked to file pleadings with court clerks and help prepare for trials by organizing exhibits and assisting with other tasks as required.
To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will need to be proficient with Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel, able to multitask effectively and thrive in a busy, team-oriented environment.
- Preparing affidavits, legal correspondence and other documents for attorneys.
- Organizing and maintaining documents in a paper or electronic filing system.
- Meeting with clients, attorneys, and other professionals to talk about case details.
- Filing pleadings with court clerk.
- Helping prepare for trial by organizing exhibits and assisting with other tasks as needed.
- Preparing briefs, pleadings, appeals, and other legal documents.
- Investigating facts and laws of cases and searching public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action.
- Researching and tracking legislation.
- Directing and coordinating law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
- Gathering and analyzing statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, documents and other data.
- Assisting with witness and client relationship support.
- Represent Forward Justice in various forums, including before community groups.
- Other duties as may be assigned to meet Forward Justice’s needs.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Case development, including ability to manage and collaborate with national, state and local advocacy organizations, other litigators and co-counsel.
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Aptitude for and willingness to be a team player.
- Initiative, vision, and a proven commitment to social justice.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills, follow-through and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work on several campaigns at once in conjunction with other staff.
- Strong communication skills and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups of partners.
- Certificate of completion from an ABA-approved paralegal certification program of education and training, or an associate degree in paralegal studies preferred.
- Associate degree.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Office administration experience.
- Superb legal research, writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, active listening and communication skills.
- A high level of independence, initiative, creativity, and good judgment.
- Commitment to Forward Justice’s mission, vision, and values.
Competitive salary and benefits based on experience. Forward Justice is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from those who will enhance our staff diversity. Women, people of color, directly-impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications welcome immediately; position open until filled. Applications must include: 1) a cover letter that addresses your goals and your interest in this position and 2) a resume with three professional references. Submit electronic application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “Paralegal” and your name.