Director of Finance
The Director of Finance will play a critical role working directly with the Co-Directors on strategic decision making and operations as the organization continues to grow its impact in North Carolina and beyond. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Promote and ensure a culture of financial transparency, consistent communication, and meaningful collaboration with colleagues;
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Co-Directors; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and keep senior leadership team informed of the organization’s financial status;
- Produce, analyze and present financial reports; communicate monthly and annual financial statements, and oversee all financial accounting; manage organizational cash flow and forecasting;
- Provide financial insight into strategic decision-making throughout the organization;
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors as necessary, prepare and file annual reports;
- Evaluate Forward Justice’s current financial systems, identify areas for improvement and implement changes; participate in the hiring and on-boarding of finance staff as needed, and manage the department as it grows.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with accounting and financial systems as well as the ability to develop fiscal policies, procedures, and systems informed by finance and industry best practices;
- Proven track record of managing complex projects, including the ability to creatively problem solve, to focus on the strategic landscape, to effectively delegate, and to take responsibility for decisions;
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – colleagues who may or may not have a finance background;
- Skilled at working to solve problems and advance an institution’s goals including setting priorities;
- Comfort with technology; ability to update systems and processes using technology, and the ability to train team members on new ways of executing the work.
- At least 5 years of overall experience in financial/accounting roles;
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a significant program area;
- Past experience managing and growing a finance team, or comparable experience;
- Minimum of advanced degree in a related field required;
- Knowledge of the nuances of 501c3 finances required;
- Keen analytic skills which support and enable sound decision making;
- Willingness to dig into the details;
- Active listening skills, including the ability to understand and to show respect and empathy for others;
- Commitment to Forward Justice’s overarching goals and objectives.
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Forward Justice is seeking an excellent detail-oriented accounting assistant to join our growing team. The position is part-time with full-time possibility. In this position, you will play a key role in maintaining ledgers, keeping financial records, and updating our financial information. We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and self-motivated leader to join our team who believes deeply in excellence and the racial justice mission of Forward Justice. The Accounting Assistant reports to the Director of Finance.
The Accounting Assistant will collaborate and communicate with our Director of Finance and administrative team to process business transactions, handle accounts payable and receivable, revenue, and expense reports.
Accounting Assistant Responsibilities:
- Providing support to the Director of Finance and administration team as needed.
- Performing tasks, such as filing, data entry, and organization of financial records.
- Develop processes for receiving and processing invoices and payments.
- Manage online payment platforms, vendor contracts, and payments.
- Processing transactions, updating ledgers, spreadsheets and budgets.
- Assisting Director of Finance with audits, fact checks, and resolving discrepancies.
- Keep financial records up-to-date, correct and modify inaccurate files and/or records.
- Work with development team to assure appropriate tracking and accounting of gifts.
- Develop trainings and help guides to assist staff to adhere to financial procedures.
- Develop processes and procedures to support a growing organization.
Qualified applicants should have:
- Associate’s degree or two years of related work experience desired. Preference for experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Proficiency with computers, Quickbooks software and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Exceptional time management and verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Familiarity with basic Accounting principles.
- Professional manner and strong ethical code.
- Ability to multitask and remain motivated and positive.
- Able to troubleshoot and work proactively to ensure flawless accounting procedures.
- Commitment to working efficiently and accurately.
In one document please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Accounting Assistant and your name.
Forward Justice is immediately seeking to fill this position but looking for the best candidate to support a growing organization. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, directly-impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sign up to receive email updates about our movement work, campaigns, volunteer opportunities, and events