Forward Justice is seeking an excellent detail-oriented accounting assistant to join our growing team. The position is part-time with full-time possibility. In this position, you will play a key role in maintaining ledgers, keeping financial records, and updating our financial information. We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and self-motivated leader to join our team who believes deeply in excellence and the racial justice mission of Forward Justice. The Accounting Assistant will collaborate and communicate with our Finance Manager and administrative team to process business transactions, handle accounts payable and receivable, revenue, and expense reports. The Accounting Assistant reports to the Finance Manager.
Accounting Assistant Responsibilities:
- Providing support to the Finance Manager and administration team as needed.
- Performing basic office tasks, such as filing, data entry, and organization of financial records.
- Develop processes for receiving and processing invoices and payments.
- Manage online payment platforms, vendor contracts, and payments.
- Processing transactions, updating ledgers, spreadsheets, and budgets.
- Assisting Finance Manager with audits, fact checks, and resolving discrepancies.
- Keep financial records up-to-date, correct, and modify inaccurate files and/or records.
- Work with development team to assure appropriate tracking and accounting of gifts.
- Develop processes and procedures to support a growing organization.
Qualified applicants should have:
- Associate’s degree or two years of related work experience desired. Preference for experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Proficiency with computers, Quickbooks software, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Exceptional time management and verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with basic Accounting principles.
- Professional manner and strong ethical code.
- Ability to multitask and remain motivated and positive.
- Able to troubleshoot and work proactively to ensure flawless accounting procedures.
- Commitment to working efficiently and accurately.
- Position is based in Durham, NC (remote during COVID19).
In one document please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com, with the subject line: Accounting Assistant and your name.
Forward Justice is immediately seeking to fill this position but looking for the best candidate to support a growing organization. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, directly-impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Digital Campaigns Associate
Forward Justice seeks an experienced, innovative, and dynamic Digital Campaigns Associate to serve the communications team and provide support for the legal and organizing teams. In collaboration with the Communications Manager and Digital Communications Associate, this individual will be responsible for developing, coordinating, and executing digital communications campaigns for all of Forward Justice’s program areas, including litigative and legislative advocacy and grassroots organizing.
This position will require the candidate to immerse themselves in the work we do with our movement partners to be able to fully understand and disseminate our partner’s narratives; and to work with our Organizing team to support grassroots campaigns focused on power building and addressing issues of criminal justice and social, racial and economic justice to strengthen and expand our democracy. This is a great opportunity for a candidate with a background in communications, digital media, social media, and digital organizing to help Forward Justice maintain and enhance its online presence and use of interactive digital campaigns to support grassroots organizing and narrative building. The ideal candidate should be willing to adopt an organizers’ mentality and a passion for movement-building to translate our work into stories, digital collateral, and campaigns that galvanize community members and help build narrative power.
In addition to supporting strategy and leading execution of all digital campaigns at Forward Justice, the Digital Campaigns Associate will provide operational support to the communications team and manager. Performing a variety of tasks to support Forward Justice having a dynamic and engaging online presence, assisting in the creation of promotional materials or solicitations/informational materials, managing online events, creating and managing digital campaigns, and developing and sharing content across all Forward Justice social media platforms.
The Digital Campaigns Associate will collaborate alongside a stellar staff and directly with our partner organizations on a variety of strategic initiatives and programs to ensure that the digital campaign strategies and plans shift the public dialogue to one that values collective solutions. This position will report directly to the Communications Manager and work closely with the Digital Communications Associate and Forward Justice team members to execute each campaign.
- Assist with the development and coordinate the execution of integrated digital communications campaigns across multiple media platforms to raise awareness of Forward Justice legislative and legislative advocacy outcomes, community organizing efforts and partner initiatives, and to engage and grow Forward Justice’s community.
- Help develop an ongoing digital campaigns strategy and calendar, by coordinating with Forward Justice staff and movement partners to advance advocacy efforts and create engaging and integrated content.
- Monitor news cycle and public discourse related to campaign work and goals. This will include ensuring digital campaigns reflect the rapid response work being done in the broader organization.
- Execute the distribution and maintenance of all digital and electronic campaign collateral including, but not limited to, ongoing email newsletters, videos, and social media content.
- Create a vibrant and dynamic online campaign presence, particularly ensuring consistent engagement with social media campaigns.
- Provide programmatic support to partners by:
- Identifying strategic opportunities for partners to engage with Forward Justice Digital campaigns
- Ensure that Forward Justice leverages our digital campaigns to provide strategic programmatic support to partners
- Provide list building maintenance and support for the organizing and communications teams with email lists, media lists, petitions, and databases such as VAN, Hustle and Action Network
- Update Forward Justice’s social media channels, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram with appropriate and timely mission focused messaging for all digital campaigns.
- Ensure work moves forward, measurable goals are met through clear and consistent evaluation and measurement of impact.
- Work to build a base of directly impacted constituents through online campaigns and engage them for offline mobilization, storytelling, and movement building.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant social and digital media influencers that support causes in alignment with Forward Justice’s body of work.
Required qualifications and competencies:
- Good personal organization, time management, and planning skills.
- Dedicated team player with abilities to work with staff, board, and partner organizations.
- Effective listener who seeks and accepts feedback. Looks for opportunities to learn and grow in their work.
- A demonstrated commitment to the shared values of Forward Justice and its partner organizations, including experience working for social justice.
- Proven ability to work with a large and diverse cross-section of populations and a commitment to anti-racism and leadership centered on directly impacted communities. Respect for differences -- race, ethnicity, class, sexual orientation, gender.
- An understanding of trends in public discourse and policy making.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced quickly-changing environments, while being flexible and adaptable enough to support with rapid-response communications needs
- Cumulative 3-5 years experience in two or more of the following: communications, policy, advocacy, electoral or organizing campaigns, journalism, public relations or advocacy communications, social media management, digital organizing, media relations, project/program management.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications abilities.
- Experience with digital communications and social media management tools like Hootsuite, Hashtracking, Mailchimp, Zoom, PowerBase, and Action Network
- Strong analytical and strategic thinker who considers mission and vision of organization in all their planning and actions.
- A passion for learning and helping others.
- Position is based in Durham, NC (remote during COVID19.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Compensation is competitive and negotiable depending on background and experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Please send a cover letter, resume, at least three relevant work samples, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “Digital Campaigns Associate” and your name.
Forward Justice is immediately seeking to fill this position but looking for the best candidate to support a growing organization. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis and resume reviews will begin when our office reopens on January 4th, 2021. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, directly-impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Forward Justice is seeking a junior level Organizer to support low-income communities of color community members to lead grassroots campaigns focused on power building and addressing criminal justice issues, poverty, and democracy issues. A successful candidate will be an authentic, talented and resourceful organizer who is passionate about building grassroots political power in communities around the state of North Carolina. This position is a core part of our staff team and will serve as the lead in our efforts to engage and mobilize low-income communities of color.
This position offers tremendous opportunity for leadership, innovation, teamwork and professional and political development. The right applicant will be serious about building grassroots political power in historically disenfranchised communities. This position will report to the Campaign Manager.
- Work with members of the Forward Justice team to develop and implement grassroots organizing and advocacy campaigns for Forward Justice and its strategic movement partners
- Staff established regional campaign programming
- Direct the work of current activists, volunteers and coalitions while recruiting new activists to organize and participate in activities such as: lobbying days, phonebanks, letter writing and digtal campaigns, townhalls, teach-ins, etc.
- Work to build a base of directly impacted constituents for mobilization and movement building
- Conduct outreach to potential new partners (local and national) by phone, e-mail and other communication to inform and mobilize them.
- Represent Forward Justice at public events and coalition meetings as assigned.
- Prepare organizing materials and issue updates needed to implement issue campaigns
- Respond to information requests from supporters
- Provide administrative/production support as needed, such as coordinating team preparation of props and signs for protests; coordinating interns on phone banking or field mailing assembly; etc.
- Assist in maintaining a national database of activists, organizations and key contacts.
- Ability to work remote.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of mass incarceration issues, policy related to the accountability of law enforcement and elected officials, poverty, and democracy issues
- Excellent and consistent attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Aptitude for and willingness to be a team player;
- Initiative, vision, and a proven commitment to the struggle for social justice;
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and have fun in a high-energy, fast-paced work environment;
- Initiative and ability to work collaboratively and efficiently;
- Strong organizational skills, follow up and follow through and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines;
- Ability to work on several campaigns at once in conjunction with other staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience working with diverse groups of partners
- Positive attitude, good motivational and interpersonal skills; well organized;
- Good computer skills.
- Work Experience: 1-3 years relevant experience preferred in organizing, community building, grassroots organizing
- Capabilities: Ability to work well with a wide range of people; to work independently as well as in coalition; to work well under pressure; and to adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. Some travel maybe required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Position is based in Durham, NC (remote during COVID19).
In one document please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com, with the subject line: “Organizer” and your name.
Forward Justice is immediately seeking to fill this position but looking for the best candidate to support a growing organization. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis and resume reviews will begin when our office reopens on January 4th, 2021. Competitive salary and benefits based on experience We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, directly-impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sign up to receive email updates about our movement work, campaigns, volunteer opportunities, and events